Nebraska Woman Mistakes Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak for Common Cold

Cerebrospinal Fluid

Nebraska woman diagnosed with cerebrospinal fluid leak thought she had a bad cold.

A 52-year-old female patient recently admitted to a Nebraska hospital had the shock of her life to discover that her runny rouse, though to be a symptom of a never-ending common cold, was actually cerebrospinal fluid leaking out of her nose. Following the surgery, the patient recovered but still has to deal with migraines.

Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak Was the Result of Car Accident, Doctors Declared

Kendra Jackson of Omaha has a rather interesting story. Approximately two-and-a-half years ago, the woman was involved in a car accident. Since then, she had trouble sleeping, complained of debilitating migraines, and wrestled with a cold which refused to go away.

Jackson told a local news outlet that ever since the accident, she knocked on every doctor’s door and tried every common cold treatment on the market but to no avail.

Growing wearing of having to deal with the headaches and runny nose, Jackson visited the University of Nebraska Medical Center for some more tests.

Upon consulting the patient, Dr. Christie Barnes, a rhinologist, determined that the liquid coming out the woman’s nose was not consistent with the type of secretions associated with the common cold.

More than that, Barnes realized that the substance oozing out of Jackson’s nose was, in fact, cerebrospinal fluid, normally a clear liquid that envelopes the brain and spinal cord.

A CT scan revealed that the liquid was seeping through a small hole at the base of Jackson’s sinuses. Barnes concluded that the hole was the result of the woman’s car accident.


The woman underwent surgery for her condition. To be able to pluck the hole, Barnes and her team used tissue from the woman’s nose and fat from her belly.

Following the surgery, Jackson’s drip stopped, but the Nebraska woman still has to deal with migraines. As for her condition, according to Barnes, CSF leaks are quite rare and, in some cases, deadly as it leaves the patient’s body susceptible to infections like meningitis.

Image source: Wikipedia

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *